Saturday, October 6, 2007

THIS IS A BIG DEAL. . .

"I support the line item veto. . . so the president must account to the entire nation." - Ronald Reagan

ON GIULIANI'S CHALLEGE TO THE LINE-ITEM VETO:

This is a big deal to your Mittiot, and it really should be a big deal to you as well.

Your Mittiot first stepped to the right while in junior high school. I had a friend - Jason Dewland - who's parents were fairly liberal, and as is often the case so was he. It was about in 6th grade when Jake and I became friends and he asked me one day if I was democrat or republican. To be honest, I hadn't thought about it - my father always voted (as did my mother, when my father reminded her) but politics wasn't focused on at the ol' dinner table - so I said, "I don't know, what are you?" "I'm a democrat." Jake responded. "Good enough." Then and there I was a democrat. (If I recall, we had a republican running for governor about that time named "Richard Headlee" - Now, when your in junior high you're not making your political decisions based on "personal responsibility," "states' rights," or "taxes and spending," so when someone gives to you a newspaper clipping that say's "Dick Headlee" this or that, it's kinda tough to align yourself with the victory cry, "Go Dick Headlee" - petty, I know, but so goes junior high). That lasted two weeks - and your Mittiot has never looked back. I cut my teeth on Reagan - supported Bush, Sr. - pert near cried when Clinton carried Michigan - and reveled in jubilation when the GOP took the US House (which had been held by the dems for the 40 - THAT'S FOUR ZERO - years prior) and Senate in 1994. I worked in the State Senate at the time and I remember the "Contract with America" coming to the capitol steps pre election - and credit the simple message (led by Newt Gingrich) of 10 common sense doable items as a big contributor to the sweeping GOP victory.

To me and many others, the KEY ITEM OF THE CONTRACT WITH AMERICA WAS THE LINE ITEM VETO. Legislators are going to do what legislators are going to do - but the President of the United States has to consider the nation as a whole (as noted by Reagan). The same power is exercised by most State Governors to curbe pork barrel spending and earmarks - AND IT WORKS. Congressional "term limits" didn't pass, the balanced budget amendment didn't pass, but the line-item veto that individuals in the GOP had wanted since the Judiciary has stripped the "impoundment power" from the President did. . . AND THE "REPUBLICAN" RUDY GIULIANI SUED THE UNITED STATES THE FIRST TIME IT WAS USED.

I had known since the power was opined to be unconstitutional that it was an ear-mark for New York that got nixed - I thought it was New York State who sued, and I could see a state objecting. . . but it was New York CITY - a city that didn't get it's pork and sued. . . and it turns out "Republican" Rudy was at the helm.

''What I'm concerned about is that New York City is being treated fairly and that we get the money we are entitled to,'' - Mr. Giuliani

I'm a Mittiot - maybe thee Mittiot - but more so, I'm a Republican. To me this is unconscionable and raises grave questions as to the idea of whether Giuliani would push for the reformed line item veto requested by G. W. Bush and currently being kicked around. This should really give the true conservative pause. . . how can Rudy support our push to restore a line item veto?

For some time now your Mittiot's been bothered by a Giuliani candidacy (and having to support it should the capitulating fools make it so) but I couldn't really put my finger on it until now. Now, personally, as an individual, I don't have any problem with Giuliani - I really respect that he says what he means. . . the problem is, I don't like what he says.

As I pondered Rudy as our GOP candidate it dawned on me that what gnawed was that he reminds me so much of Clinton. WAIT - hold your fire. Not Hillary Clinton, he reminds me of Bill Clinton. I'm seeing stark similarities between Bill Clinton and Rudy Giuliani: Both are lawyers, both lack any real business experience, both are pro-abortion, both are anti-2nd Amendment, both come up a bit wanting in the area of "family values," both are the kinda guy you could have a beer with (as long as your wife didn't find out), etc. etc. and this is buggin' your ol' Mittiot. BUT, as of today I can now say, "AT LEAST Bill Clinton supports the line item veto!" And in that regard, your Mittiot would be hard pressed to choose Rudy over Bill if those two were running head-to-head.

The Republian Contract With America

On the first day of the 104th Congress, the new Republican majority will immediately pass the following major reforms, aimed at restoring the faith and trust of the American people in their government. . .

Thereafter, within the first 100 days of the 104th Congress, we shall bring to the House Floor the following bills, each to be given full and open debate, each to be given a clear and fair vote and each to be immediately available this day for public inspection and scrutiny.

1. THE FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY ACT: A balanced budget/tax limitation amendment and a legislative line-item veto to restore fiscal responsibility to an out- of-control Congress, requiring them to live under the same budget constraints as families and businesses. (Bill Text) (Description)

. . .

"Joining the city as plaintiffs in the suit are 1199 National Health and Human Service Employees Union, District Council 37, the largest union of New York City's municipal workers, and the Greater New York Hospital Association." - New York Times
Background on City of New York v. United States [Giuliani Plans To Challenge Line-Item Veto]

. . .

"I line-item-vetoed hundreds of items as governor of Massachusetts, hundreds, and that vehicle is the most powerful tool a president of the United States could have to rein in unnecessary pork barrel, earmarked spending." - Mitt Romney
Romney's position on the line-item veto v. Rudy's [Romney Hits Giuliani on Line-Item Veto]

[Mittiot's Note: To be fair, within the two articles listed above, Mr. Giuliani does state he supports the line-item veto (article 1) and it reported to support it if President (article 2). In my opinion, you're a day late and a dollar short as your actions speak loudly.]

~ so sayeth the Mittiot

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home